Friday, November 26, 2010

My life in the country

The above sign hangs outside the door to my house. Although for me this is true I am very aware that here also lives poverty, homelessness and hunger. I write this humbly tonight from my warm place I call home and am aware that others are not able to do so.
I am enjoying life in the country just 15 miles from downtown Asheville. It seems like much farther away because of all the hairpin curves leading up the mountain to Gerton that I now call home.  I have loved this road for the past 15 years that I have been driving it while doing social work and home visits around this area while a HIV/AIDS Case Manager.  And even if I didn’t want to drive this road to Gerton I would have no other choice as there is no interstate exit to get off that will get you directly to my house. That is one more reason that I love it here.  I love downtown and have for many years and have enjoyed my time living where I could walk to it from my home. But the time came when I wanted a different experience of living here in the mountains. I love being able to look out every window and see woods and mountains. I have neighbors but they are off through the trees and although I am getting to know some of them – I am happy to not look out my window into theirs.  We get together monthly for potlucks at a small community center and this has been going on here for over 50 years. I now feel that if I needed one of them at any time all I have to do is call. I remember living where I did not even know my neighbors names although they were just on the other side of the wall when living in apartments or condos.
When I first decided to move here I remember many asking me – why do you want to move way out there away from everything? I laughingly inside remember me asking the same question to a friend of mine (Micah) whom I house sat for on many occasions that lives out in Weaverville.  Now I know and understand.
Moving away from what I asked myself? I felt then and now know I was moving towards things to be closer to nature and things that bring me back to my grounded place..my center..my balance.  Trading the pavement for pine trees and the noises of the city (although I always found it quiet in the places I lived near downtown) to the noises of nature. The birds are more abundant here and they get really close without being scared away. The deer and wild turkey walk through my yard along with many other creatures of the night I am sure as I find their tracks in the daylight.  

The trees that once nestled my house from view now have lost their leaves and have left me with the view of mountains from every window.  On one side is Bearwallow Mountain and the other Little Bearwallow-while the other two side present me with Little Mount Pisgah and the other smaller one I am not sure if it has a name – but it leads to Chimney Rock and the roaring Rocky Broad River. There is also a small stream that runs below my house and although I cannot see it I hear it daily and it comforts my soul.  My living room has 5 windows that run from ceiling to floor and allows me a picture to the world outside. I also have 5 other windows in the same great room and always have a different view on things if I choose. I like the variety and the choices they offer.

I travel to downtown Asheville 4 days a week to work and to shop and experience all that I love about it. I then come home to what seems like a different world – but to me is also Asheville. I feel I have not taken away from but added to my experience in living in Asheville NC a place that I love and am experiencing from a different view after moving here 15 years ago. Yes I have come home to “my place” here in the mountains and I am grateful and find reason to be so more every day.
I can walk in either direction from my house and find marked hiking trails and more are being made as the land around me is part of the Mountain Conservatory and will not ever be built on – or at least during my lifetime. I have a post office and a fire department just around the bend and the community center with a newly opened health food store. A country church is available for my viewing pleasure of a gathering if I choose to attend. 


Just a short distance from me is Hickory Nut Eco Community and another curve or two away is Laughing Waters Retreat Center where they hold many interesting workshops and gatherings.  At the foot of the mountain on my way up is Flying Cloud Farm an organic garden with a honor system produce stand as well as Hickory Nut Gap Meats for organic eggs and meat. 

On the way up and down the mountain are many pastures with beautiful horses grazing and playing which adds to my pleasure as I have always loved horses.  And the road to my house is said to be the oldest stagecoach trail that was known in this area. 


This mixed with some of the research I have done of this area when the Native American’s lived here informs me that no wars were ever fought on this land adding to the peacefulness that I feel here. It was said if different tribes met here that they had to make peace till they got off the land of this area. And of course the stories of the little people here..the “moon people” that hide behind the trees like fairies.
Oh no - I did not move away – I moved towards ME and my serenity and peace here in these mountains I love to call home. And tonight as I sit listening to the wind blow outside and the cold of winter settles in - I too will settle here and continue planting my roots where I may grow with the trees and stories of this land. I do not own this place nor does it own me..we just share in the daily wonder of it all and for that  and much more I am grateful!


2 comments:

  1. What is the name & address of the church in the photo above? Its exactly what im looming for, for my wedding! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete