Friday, October 1, 2010

For the love of these mountains and Asheville, NC


After over 15 years of living in and around the mountains of Asheville, NC I have decided to start a blog to post my many musings about this area that I love to call home. I was encouraged to do so and had help creating it from my friend Tena Moore whom I met about a year ago. I am grateful and dedicate this blog site to her for her encouragement not only to create this blog but for the opportunity to write and share my love of this area by writing articles for a local website Ashevillenc.com.

I have been told and can attest to the saying I have heard many times that "You do not choose Asheville - it chooses you." In 1989 I came to these mountains for the first time for my honeymoon of my second marriage and fell deeply in love with the area. I remember driving around Asheville and the surrounding towns and on the Blue Ridge Parkway and there was a light rain and a mist hanging low over the mountains. I was playing Pat Methany music and feeling a bit awestruck at the beauty that was sinking into my soul. I felt so a part of these mountains and it felt as though they were embracing me. After a brief visit and driving back down Hwy 40 to Greensboro, NC my home at the time  - I knew that I must live here.

Through eyes clouded by tears I vowed to return as often as possible until one day I could call this magical place home. Over the next 6 years I would return as often as possible and always would  reluctantly leave with with plans of making  a life here. Finally in 1995 I chose to sell everything and start fresh here and have never once looked back or regretted one moment of it.

Life has brought many changes since that day but all have turned out to be for the best. I divorced in 2000 and always am grateful that my connections with my ex husband guided me to this place of sanctuary and healing.  I have lived in and near downtown Asheville and now currently have moved to the outskirts of Asheville to Gerton a small town on the Eastern Continental Divide about 15 miles away. I still consider this a part of Asheville as I commute there daily for work. I will also be blogging about this mountain town that is showing me the real meaning of community.

I look back on my Facebook and Myspace pages and see that anytime I feel the urge to write it is always either about or inspired by my living in and exploring areas around Asheville. I find myself boasting daily to others I meet about how wonderful I find life here and how it holds a special place in my heart and my life. So now with this blog I will share that with others.

So if you choose to come along for the musing of my journey's here that are ever changing and never ending I welcome you and look forward to your comments.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you Debbie! I really look forward to all your blog posts! You will always be 'the mayor of Asheville' to me! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I have been told I should be LOL I go on and on and always promote it.. who knows :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful to see your blog and your beautiful photographs! Look forward to reading you! Love and hugs, Peggy

    ReplyDelete